Friday 26 August 2011

Is it REALLY the most wonderful time of the year?

School starts in 10 days. 10 DAYS. Thing 1 and Thing 2 will now both be out of the house for hours 6+ hours at a time. The little one is in grade 1 this year and that means full days. I'm not gonna lie: I'm a little terrified. The past 6 years I've defined myself as a stay-at-home [work-at-home?] mom of 2. My house is usually a disaster, but I've had a good excuse, right? Kids are generally small walking disasters and most attempts to keep up with mess are futile.
Now what?!
Surely I can no longer use the "oh, honey, I've-had-such-a-trying-day-with-the-kids-i'll-just-go-ahead-and-order-pizza-and-you-can-wear-the-same-socks-tomorrow-right?" excuse. Can I?
Will I be expected to be waiting at the door of a perfectly tidy house, pearls around my neck, heels strapped to my feet, dinner on the table, the angelic children bathed, calm and prepared to go bed after a perfunctory kiss on their heads from their father? Uh.... no. I don't know what kind of retro-trance I've just come out of, but I don't *think* that will ever happen, nor does my Man expect it of me. [At least, he hasn't yet!]  Although, I would be lying if I said that the idea doesn't appeal to me on some basic level.
Of course, I don't know where I'm supposed to fit in ballet classes, swimming lessons, Sparks, book club, yoga class etc etc etc. Maybe I'll have to tweak my utopian expectations.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...